Write a reading response journal for chapter 1. Your journal should be no shorter than 150-200 words in length.
Here are some suggestions for what you can write in your journal:
- Give your reaction to the story up to this point. What do you find most interesting? Why?
- Describe something important you have learned so far about George, Lennie, or about their relationship.
- Predict what will happen to George and Lennie or how the story might develop from here. Explain your predictions. If you’ve read ahead or if you already know what happens DO NOT USE THIS IDEA!
- Can you see any important ideas or themes already emerging from this story?
- How do you feel about these characters or this story? Does it remind you of anyone/anything? Do you like the characters? Feel anything when reading?
No matter what you choose, the important part of your response is YOUR ideas, reactions, thoughts, feelings, etc. Yes, I do want details from the book, but it’s more important to me that you explain how you feel and what you think.
As always, this must be done in complete sentences, with capital letters and punctuation. If those are missing, it won’t be accepted until you revise.