Generals Die In Bed Chapter 2: In the Trenches
Please answer all of the following questions thoughtfully in complete sentences. Make reference to the book WITH PAGE NUMBERS as often as possible.
- How has the setting changed from the first chapter? (include as many details from the chapter as possible – look on more than one page!)
- “Keep your gun covered with a rubber sheet! No smoking!” (p.8) Why do you think the sergeant gives his men these warnings? What would each warning do to protect/help the men?
- “I remember with a cold feeling that it was fat.” When the protagonist encounters a rat (p. 11) why is he so interested in its size? What does this observation mean?
- Explain the effects that artillery bombardment has on a soldier’s body.
- Choose a scene/event/description or character from the chapter that is most powerful to you. Tell me about that scene/event/description or character and explain why you chose this. Why is it most interesting/effective/powerful to you?